What Does A Chief Executive Officer Do?
Chief Executive Officers (CEOs), or Managing Directors, plan and develop policies to help an organisation be successful. CEOs work closely with the organisation’s board of directors. They function as the Managing Director of corporate operations and serve as the link between the different departments of the organisation.
Chief Executive Officer Duties And Responsibilities
The CEO is the highest-ranking executive of an organisation. Their primary responsibility is to lead the company. A CEO's main duties and responsibilities include:
- Partnering with senior officers to grow and strengthen the organisation and to make it more sustainable
- Representing the organisation at functions, public meetings and industry events
- Working with the Chief Financial Officer to prepare the organisation’s annual budgets, analyse the risk of its investments and advise the board of directors on the risk and return of the investments
- Leading the development of the organisation’s short- and long-term strategies and policies
- Directing the organisation in line with the goals and visions set by the board of directors
- Working with the Head of Human Resources on the organisation’s payroll, benefit disbursement and hiring practices
- Overseeing quality throughout the company by setting goals for each department in collaboration with the departmental head
- Communicating with shareholders, the general public and government entities
Chief Executive Officer Skills And Qualifications
Candidates for a CEO position should have senior management experience in the same or similar industry. A successful CEO candidate will have various prerequisite skills and qualifications, that typically include:
- Good communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Leadership skills to lead senior management and to manage internal and external conflicts
- Time management skills
- The ability to use their judgment to make decisions
- The ability to prioritise between tasks and delegate, where possible
- Excellent planning skills to implement strategies to meet the organisation’s goals set by the board of directors
- The ability to manage and motivate staff
Chief Executive Officer Experience Requirements
When considering candidates for a CEO position, look for candidates with seven to 10 years of experience in supervision or management role with a proven track record in leading teams and achieving results. On-the-job management experience is essential, but candidates that have completed executive-level management and leadership development programs can also be considered.
Example from Indeed.com
Chief Executive Officer Salary Expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a CEO is £56,037 per annum (as of March 2023). The salary level for the Chief Executive Officer depends on the education, geographic location and level of experience required for the position.
Whether you are seeking a new role as a Chief Executive Officer, or looking to add to your team, let Connect Appointments help you – discover what we have to offer here or email email@example.com